Welcome to our January blog. Ready. Steady. Go!
If you’ve made a new year’s resolution to get fit and maybe even lose a few pounds, there’s plenty of ways Helston can help you. Beat the January blues and come out feeling energised with our top 5 healthy Helston tips…
1. Find your stroke. Swimming is a low-impact activity that’s great for all ages. It’s a full body workout that helps tone your body and boost your general wellbeing. It’s also great for those with mobility or joint problems because the water supports your weight. You’ll find a six lane, 25m, fully accessible swimming pool (with hoist) at Helston Leisure Centre.
Postcode: TR13 8YQ
2. Pace yourself at Penrose parkrun. Every Saturday morning at 9am you can take part in a timed 5km run at Penrose. Parkrun is a national initiative and anyone can take part – whether you’re a seasoned runner or a complete novice. It’s free but register at https://www.parkrun.org.uk/penrose/ to join in.
The Penrose run is entirely on tarmac paths, although some areas may accumulate leaves or puddles. You can find out more about the course at: https://www.parkrun.org.uk/penrose/course/
Postcode: TR13 0RA
Top tip: If you’re new to the area or keen to meet the locals, grab a post-run coffee at the Lakeside café with some of the runners and volunteers.
3. Get on your bike and ride! There’s lots of beautiful countryside to explore down the teeny rural backroads around Helston, so why not get out into the great outdoors on two wheels?
Penrose is a lovely spot for a leisurely family cycle on tarmacked bridleways or through a network of woodland trails. Find out more at https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/penrose/features/new-cycling-at-penrose
More seasoned riders looking for a bigger challenge might like to try the suggested cycling routes at: https://www.routeyou.com/en-gb/location/bike/47297161/cycling-in-helston-overview-of-all-cycle-routes
If you don’t own a bike you can hire one from Porthleven Cycle Hire, located in Coronation Park.
4. Hit the gym. A half million investment at Helston Leisure Centre in October 2018 saw a huge gym upgrade, including 42 stations of the very latest equipment and a studio with sprung floor and feature lighting. There’s more than 20 fitness classes a week including Pilates, circuits, group cycling and more.
Postcode: TR13 8YQ
5. Walk the heritage trail. If all that sounds a bit exhausting, walking has loads of health benefits, especially if you keep it brisk! Up the interest factor by downloading our Helston Heritage trail and discover more about one of Cornwall’s oldest towns as you go – just be sure to pick up the pace in-between stops! At a steady pace the trail should take about an hour and then there are three spurs too if you’re feeling up to the challenge!