The Methodist Chapel
Gaze up at one of the finest painted chapel ceilings in the Duchy and uncover the history of methodism in Cornwall.
The Methodist Chapel and Epworth Hall are still pillars of the Helston community, hosting many groups, functions and meetings throughout the week.
Methodist preacher John Wesley preached numerous times in Helston – initially describing the then town as a ‘storm centre’, a ‘hard drinking town’ and a home of ‘rebels and persecutors’. However Methodism took a strong hold in Helston and the surrounding parishes.
The first Wesleyan meeting house was built here in 1798 – now the Epworth Hall which stands behind the newer Chapel. The current impressive Church building dates from 1887.